Monday, October 1, 2012

Review: Hope Solo: My Story (Solo)

Title: Hope Solo: My Story
Author: Solo
Genre: Autobiography, Non-Fiction, Sports, Soccer
Pages: 246
Rating: 4 out of 5 stars


Long-time fans of this blog, and any student that has had a conversation with me in the library, will know that I am a SPORTS JUNKIE! I'm not sure I moved during the recent Olympics (due mainly to the fact that my family was on vacation without me)...thank goodness for TiVo, some great take-out, and books to read during some of the less exciting action.

One of my favorite sports to play and watch is soccer. I love everything about this sport, especially the fact that women's soccer has become so popular since I played it in high school. If you've been paying attention at all, you will know all about Hope Solo (especially if you are from Washington...or even a fan of "Dancing with the Stars").

In this book, adapted from her adult title (Solo: A Memoir of Hope), the Olympic gold medalist and starting goalkeeper for the U.S. women's national soccer team gives readers behind-the-scenes details of her life on and off the field. Solo is a fearless female role model, driven to succeed on her own terms. You will be inspired by Hope's repeated triumphs over adversity, which will ring true with many teens and tweens in today's economy.

I'm interested to read the "adult" memoir to see what differences exist (most likely, what was left out). I'll admit that my rating probably is based on my love of the game and of good sports role models, but I think fans of soccer, or any other sport, will appreciate the honest look at how one athlete refused to take no for an answer. I will also deny that I may or may not have been reading this book over the weekend while watching my own kids play soccer...

No comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online