Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Review: Moonglass (Kirby)

Title: Moonglass
Author: Kirby
Genre: Fiction, Beach, Moving, Father/Daughter, Relationships, Love, Death
Pages: 232

Rating: 3 out of 5 stars

Anna's life is upended when her father accepts a job transfer the summer before her junior year. It's bad enough that she has to leave her friends and her life behind, but her dad is moving them to the beach where her parents first met and fell in love. But Anna's mother drowned when Anna was a young girl, and she wonders if this is really the best place for her and her dad to be.


I was lucky enough to meet this debut author at a Simon & Schuster event in June (I promise there will be a post on this event SOON. There were so many terrific debut authors in attendance...so many good books coming). At the time, I had not read the book. However, it was a slim hardback that packed well, took place on the beach, and since I was heading to North Carolina to spend some time on the beach, it seemed like the perfect book to pack along.

I enjoyed this book and I definitely think that my junior high readers will also. The setting is well-written, giving a terrific sense of place to the novel. (I imagine that this is due to the fact that the author lives in the location that she wrote about...I envy her life by the way. More on that in a subsequent post). This is a novel begging to be read during the summer! I wish that I had read it in time to add to my summer reading list.


Anna is conflicted over wanting to know more about her mother but leary of the memories that are starting to return. She loves her dad, but doesn't appreciate his meddling in her love life (what teen girl does). Anna finds new friends in surprising places and a hunky lifeguard boyfriend (of course...it's a book that takes place on the beach). I think that many teen girls will appreciate this story and the full-circle ending.

No comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online