Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Forget the Mariners, get excited about baseball again!

Yes, we all know that Mrs. Yusko is a sports junkie.  And just slightly crazy for books :)  So, of course I am going to be a fan of...books about sports!  Really, what could be better?!

Baseball's Negro Leagues have always interested me and I have read numerous books about the coaches, players, and others important to the league.  There are many fascinating life stories to be told, and amazing sports stars from this time in baseball's history. 









"We Are the Ship" by Kadir Nelson is THE book to read about the Negro Leagues
and has been on my recommended reading list since it's publication in 2008.  This is a MUST READ for baseball/sports fans of any age!  Since the Mariner's aren't doing so well (I mean really, are you even following their season any more?), check out this book to get excited about baseball again.

There are two reasons that I'm posting about this book right now.  First, the author/illustrator's drawings from "We Are the Ship" has been used to inspire a series of US Postage Stamps about the Negro Leagues.  What an honor!  Check out the stamps at a post office near you.

Secondly, I was able to meet (very briefly) Kadir Nelson in June at the library conference I attended.  I was able to get an autographed copy of the book...and it is one of the highlights of the conference for me.  Now the problem is, my dad's birthday is coming up in a couple of weeks.  He is the man who inspired my love of sports and has coached baseball at all levels for over 30 years.  My dilemma?  Keep the autographed book all for myself or give it my wonderful dad for his birthday?
 

2 comments:

Karen & Gerard said...

I say give it to your dad. You have way too many books and you will probably get it back again anyway eventually.

My husband loves reading sports books and I read some too. I'll mention this one to him.

BrownEyedGirl626 said...

Thanks for the advice...definitely should give the book to my dad! I hope that your husband is able to check it out. It is a very well-done book, regardless of it's "picture book" format! The illustrations are AMAZING!

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online