Friday, November 15, 2013

Top 10 Books at Evergreen This Week

The library catalog system "tracks" top titles for our library, and it is something that I enjoy looking at quite frequently to see what's "hot." Of course, I use the term "track" loosely, because I haven't quite figured out the formula it uses. For example, I think that it should take number of holds on the book into account, but it doesn't.

Regardless, I thought that I would share the Top 10 books in our Evergreen Library this week. Now, if you are a student and click on the "Top 10" in the library catalog, this list is for the past 30 days. I can actually pull up reports to change the time frame that it uses when calculating titles. It's actually interesting to note that this changes the titles quite a bit, and takes into account suddenly popular titles vs. titles that sustain popularity.

So, for the last 7 days, the top books at Evergreen were:

1. Jedi Academy by Jeffrey Brown. TOTALLY surprising, and completely due to the fact that I ordered two additional copies this week and I booktalked this to 6th grade classes a lot recently. It flew off the shelves.

2. Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary Pearson. Love this book and while it is always popular, the reason it hit number 2 is that it's a top choice for our 8th grade Sci-Fi unit which just started this week. All 9 copies FLEW off the shelves yesterday.

3. & 4. Catching Fire and The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. Not a shocker with the movie coming out next week.

5. House of Hades by Rick Riordan. Again, not a shocker. Riordan's books are always popular with my students, and the hold list continues to grow every day, even though we have multiple copies and students are reading it fast. If the system factored holds into the calculation, this book would be number one without any competition.

6. Insurgent by Veronica Roth. I actually can't figure out why this book is so much higher in the top ten than Divergent, because students are always asking me for Divergent and with all the movie buzz, I would have thought that all the recent recruits to the series would have pushed the first one into the lead.

7. Matched by Ally Condie. Again, not a surprise considering the Sci-Fi unit. This is always a popular series at Evergreen.

8. Wimpy Kid #8: Hard Luck. It's kind of fitting that this book is 8th on the list...but also surprising. The only reason that this is so low on the list in my opinion (I expected it to be 2 or 3) is that many of my kids must have purchased their own copies from their local bookstore.

9. Swim the Fly by Don Calame. Always popular at Evergreen, this is falling down the top 10 charts as the 8th grade Humor unit is ending.

10. Divergent by Veronica Roth. Barely made it into the top 10 this week. But long-term, this one is always in the top. And deservedly so!

So, what does this tell us? 
I'm sad that there's not a non-fiction title among the top 10. Something I will continue to work on.
Series are HOT at Evergreen. I often joke that if I call it a series, they will read it.
Dystopian is not dead yet, at least in my neck of the woods.

What are your top titles?

No comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online