Monday, December 16, 2013

Twelve Days of Christmas: Gift Books: 3rd-5th Grades

On the fourth day of Christmas...


We've jumped up to 3rd-5th graders. Quite honestly, these are some of my personal favorites this year. I guess it's a good year to be an elementary student. Also, this is a time that I'd like to remind you that these books also make good gifts for the teachers on your list you know that teach these grade levels. Classroom libraries are always in need of books.

(1) Destiny, Rewritten by Kathryn Fitzmaurice.
4th grade me would have wanted and loved this book! I reviewed it here over the summer.


(2) Doll Bones by Holly Black.
I included this in my "good scary stories" post this fall. Don't be scared it's too scary to give as a gift book though. This is the perfect adventure/ghost story for the upper elementary crowd.

(3) Flora & Ulysses by Kate DiCamillo.
This book is on everyone's "top books" list of 2013. I am a fan of DiCamillo's books, and when you look up her list of titles, you will realize that you are a fan also.

From the publisher:
It begins, as the best superhero stories do, with a tragic accident that has unexpected consequences. The squirrel never saw the vacuum cleaner coming, but self-described cynic Flora Belle Buckman, who has read every issue of the comic book Terrible Things Can Happen to You!, is the just the right person to step in and save him. What neither can predict is that Ulysses (the squirrel) has been born anew, with powers of strength, flight, and misspelled poetry — and that Flora will be changed too, as she discovers the possibility of hope and the promise of a capacious heart.


(4) How to Catch a Bogle by Catherine Jinks.
I love Ms. Jinks' books for the middle school crowd. I was so excited to see this title for the upper elementary reader. 


From the publisher:

If ever a chill entered her soul, or the hope suddenly drained from her heart, she knew a bogle was to blame.

Birdie McAdam, a ten-year-old orphan, is tougher than she looks. She's proud of her job as apprentice to Alfred the Bogler, a man who catches monsters for a living. Birdie lures the bogles out of their lairs with her sweet songs, and Alfred kills them before they kill her. On the mean streets of Victorian England, hunting bogles is actually less dangerous work than mudlarking for scraps along the vile river Thames. Or so it seems—until the orphans of London start to disappear . . .

(5) Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library by Chris Grabenstein. 
I LOVED this book. I want to live in this library. I also reviewed this book here this summer. 

(6) Fortunately, the Milk by Neil Gaiman. 
I'm not going to say anything other than IT'S NEIL GAIMAN. Read it! Crazy, quirky fun.

From the publisher:
"I bought the milk," said my father. "I walked out of the corner shop, and heard a noise like this: T h u m m t h u m m. I looked up and saw a huge silver disc hovering in the air above Marshall Road."

"Hullo," I said to myself. "That's not something you see every day. And then something odd happened."

And remember, if you want an immediate link to the entire list, see this post.

Happy Reading! And Gifting!






No comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online