Tuesday, November 16, 2010

National Book Award Nominees!

Every year, the National Book Foundation determines nominees and winners of the National Book Award.  There are several categories of awards, including Young People's Literature.  I am so excited by the five titles nominated in this year's Young People's Literature category!  And I wish I was near New York City today to see the National Book Award Teen Press Conference. 

Middle- and high-school students from New York City public and private schools are invited to the Schomburg Center of The New York Public Library for the Foundation’s popular National Book Awards Teen Press Conference.  According to the NBF website, students prepare for the event by reading one of the five Finalists' books and drafting questions based on the text, the writing life, and what it means to be a National Book Award Finalist. At the event, each participating student will receive a professionally designed press kit with biographical information on each author, excerpts from their books, and materials related to the National Book Awards.

Authors read from their work and then the floor is turned over to the students for the Press Conference. Students have the opportunity to meet the authors and have their books signed at a reception following the event. I am so jealous!



So, who are these amazing authors and which books are nominated? It is quite a prestigious group, and I am quite proud to say that I have actually read 4 of the 5 books! That is amazing.  And the 5th one is in my suitcase for my Thanksgiving road trip (at least it will be...I not really packed yet).





And the nominees, in alphabetical order, are:
Ship Breaker by Paolo BacigalupiMockingbird by Kathryn ErskineDark Water by Laura McNeal (the only one I haven't read yet)Lockdown by Walter Dean MyersOne Crazy Summer by Rita Williams-Garcia
If you want to read a GREAT article/interview with all the authors about what it was like to find out their books were nominated, read
The Fab Five in a recent edition of School Library Journal. 

So, who should win?  Which ones have you read?  I'm reserving judgement until I read Dark Water.  But I'd hate to be the person with the final say because they all such strong contenders!

No comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online