Thursday, August 1, 2013

Throwback Thursday: Review: Notes From The Midnight Driver (Sonnenblick)

Title: Notes From the Midnight Driver
Author: Sonnenblick
Genre: Fiction, Music, High School, Getting in Trouble, Coming of Age

Pages: 265
Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
Ages: High School

Okay, it should not be a surprise to readers of this blog that I am a big fan of this author. Much like "if you build it, he will come," if he writes it, I will read it. For this Throwback Thursday, I thought that I would review one of the author's first titles (because I don't want to review his upcoming novel until closer to when it's published).

From the Publisher: 
“Alex Peter Gregory, you are a moron!” Laurie slammed her palms down on my desk and stomped her foot. I get a lot of that. One car crash. One measly little car crash. And suddenly, I’m some kind of convicted felon. My parents are getting divorced, my dad is shacking up with my third-grade teacher. I might be in love with a girl who could kill me with one finger, and now I’m sentenced to baby-sit some insane old guy.What else could possibly go wrong? This is the story of Alex Gregory, his guitar, his best gal pal Laurie, and the friendship of a lifetime that he never would have expected.

When this book was published in 2006, it received many starred reviews and it is easy to see why. I cannot even begin to tell you how much I love Alex Gregory. (He reminds me a little of my own teenage Alex). He is the perfect narrator and has a terrific sense of humor, which borders on witty sarcasm, my favorite kind. But he also seems like a typical teen with actual problems and emotions, who makes decisions that seem like a good idea to his teen brain at the time, but don't always turn out in his favor. His actions feel authentic, and readers root for him to figure it all out in the end. 

What puts this book over the top is that the supporting cast is just as strong. Sonnenblick has created memorable characters who contribute to the story and keep readers engaged.

Alex's tale of transformation and redemption is one that will definitely resonate with teen readers, male and female alike. I believe that this is a must read book for the high school crowd. 

No comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online