Thursday, July 25, 2013

Review: Life After Theft (Pike)

Title: Life After Theft
Author: Pike

Genre: Fiction, Ghosts, Paranormal, High School
Pages: 345
Rating: 3 1/2 out of 5 stars
Ages: High School 

First, I feel like I must start this review with an admission: I don't like paranormal books. At. All. There are days where I think if I see one more angel/devil/vampire/ghost book come across my desk, I will lose it. Ask my students...they know. That being said, I know that it is popular and I love that YOU love them...just don't make me read them.

Now you're asking the question, "so, why did you even pick this book up?" Truth be told? I don't really know. It had a little to do with author name recognition (she's quite popular), and the fact that in the fall I have to give a seminar on all the latest and greatest books of 2013 for teens (and I'm sure if I wasn't at least knowledgeable about the title I wouldn't be doing my job). But, quite honestly, it actually sounded interesting to me. Shhhh...don't tell anyone!

From the Publisher:
Kimberlee Schaffer may be drop-dead gorgeous . . . but she also dropped dead last year. Now she needs Jeff's help with her unfinished business, and she's not taking no for an answer. When she was alive, Kimberlee wasn't just a mean girl; she was also a complete kleptomaniac. So if Jeff wants to avoid being haunted until graduation, he'll have to help her return all of the stolen items. But Jeff soon discovers that it's much easier to steal something than it is to bring it back.

I really enjoyed this book! No, I'm serious. The characters were well-developed, and the relationship between Jeff and Kimberlee was so authentic. Full of snark and wit and emotion, their banter drew me in. There is quite a bit going on in this book: bullying, acceptance, friendship, romance, and what it means to be happy. But I never felt like I was being hit over the head with "messages" or talked down to. 

Told from Jeff's point of view, I think this book has potential to appeal to boy and girl readers. Well, teen boys brave enough to read a book with that cover, I suppose.

Also, the Kindle edition of this book is currently on sale for $1.99. Bargain! You can't really go wrong on this one.

No comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online