Saturday, July 13, 2013

Review: Sea (Kling)

So, I was going to post the review for a different book today. 

But then I watched the movie "The Impossible" (starring Naomi Watts and Ewan McGregor) last night. And now I can't stop thinking about the movie...and the story...and the family that the movie is based on. I'm not kidding when I say that this movie really impacted me.

I decided to postpone my original review (the first in a segment I'm going to call "Series Saturday"), and go back to this one from 2010. Mainly because, like the movie, this book is based on the aftermath of the 2004 tsunami. Click here for the original post (which the author commented on, BTW!), or read below for my edited review...


Title: Sea
Author: Kling
Genre: Fiction, Survival, Romance

Pages: 336
Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
Ages: 7th grade and up

Sienna Jones is known as Sea to her friends and family because of her love of the ocean and surfing.  Unfortunately, Sea doesn't go in the water any more because the plane her mother was flying crashed into the Indian Ocean and there were no survivors.  Sea doesn't do a lot of the things she used to because she is haunted by horrible nightmares of her mother's death.

But now, six months after the 2004 tsunami that devasted SE Asia, Sea has the opportunity to travel with her father to help survivors.  Sea reluctantly agrees to join the team.  In an Indonesian orphanage, she meets Deni, a scarred orphan young man who is more like Sea than anyone she has ever met.  She feels an instant connection to Deni and cannot stay away from him.  But what about her best friend/boy friend back home? 


I am a little late to the "love" party for this book.  (I actually read it right before school started, but am a little behind in my reviews).  This is a powerful debut novel that is equal parts adventure, survival, and romance.  It will make you sad, but it will also leave you hopeful.  Sea is a character that I know many of my readers will relate to...you can understand where she is coming from, and will root for her to get to where she needs to be.  

No comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online