Friday, July 5, 2013

Review: Planet Thieves (Krokos)

Title: Planet Thieves
Author: Krokos
Genre: Fiction, Science Fiction, Space Travels, Aliens, War

Pages: 253
Rating: 3 out of 5 stars
Ages: 5th-8th grades

I am the first person to say that the outer space/alien science fiction genre is NOT my thing. So, when I find a book in what I call the Star Wars/Star Trek genre that I really enjoy, I know that most of my students will like it also, especially those that already are fans of the genre.

From the publisher:
Two weeks ago, thirteen-year-old Mason Stark and seventeen of his fellow cadets from the Academy for Earth Space Command boarded the SS Egypt . The trip was supposed to be a short routine voyage to log their required spacetime for summer quarter.But routine goes out the airlock when they're attacked by the Tremist, an alien race who have been at war with humanity for the last sixty years.With the captain and crew dead, injured, or taken prisoner, Mason and the cadets are all that's left to warn the ESC. And soon they find out exactly why the Tremist chose this ship to attack: the Egypt is carrying a weapon that could change the war forever.Now Mason will have to lead the cadets in a daring assault to take back the ship, rescue the survivors, and recover the weapon. Before there isn't a war left to fight.

I discovered this author through another of his series starters, "False Memory" (which I loved and am anxiously awaiting the sequel to next month). This book is fast-paced with a sense of adventure that will keep the pages turning. I'm not sure that there was anything surprising in this book, but it was a good ride and time well spent. I can see that there will likely be a sequel, and rumor has it that the movie rights have already been snapped up! 

1 comment:

Anne@HeadFullofBooks said...

Sounds like a good one. Aren't summers refreshing? Time for us librarians to catch up on our reading.

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online