Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Review: Sphinx's Queen (Friesner)

Title: Sphinx's Queen
Author: Friesner
Genre: Fiction, Historical Fiction, Ancient Egypt, Adventure, Runaways
Pages: 368
Rating: 3 1/2 stars out of 5


This book is a sequel and picks up where "Sphinx’s Princess" left off.  Nefertiti is escaping Thebes with her secret love Prince Amenophis and her slave girl Nara.  The three are sailing to Dendera to reunite with Nefertiti’s family, hoping they can save Nefertiti from the charges of treason against her.  The villainous crown-prince Thutmouse, Nefertiti’s betrothed, relentlessly pursues the trio. 

While hiding out along the banks of the Nile, Nefertiti ponders how to prove her innocence and this leads to an eventual showdown with Thutmouse and his evil mother, the queen.  Nefertiti, based on the mysterious Egyptian queen, is still the same strong-willed, independent girl from the first novel. 

Fans of Egyptian mythology, adventure stories, and princesses who determine their own fate will enjoy this.  However, having not read the first book yet, I can tell you that this sequel does not stand alone.  So take my advice, read the first book first.  It will be worth it so that you will completely appreciate the story.  I know, I know...always read the first book first.  I tell my students all the time, but I just didn't follow my own advice this time.  

2 comments:

Alison Can Read said...

I haven't read Sphinx Princess yet so didn't read your review too closely b/c I want to read the first book. I love the idea of Egyptian historical fiction/mythology/fantasy.

Thanks for your comment on Staying Fat for Sarah Byrnes. I haven't read Whale Talk. I should some day. The only other Crutcher book I've read was Deadline, which I quite enjoyed.
Alison Can Read

Ms. Yingling said...

I loved her Nobody's Princess and Nobody's Prize. You seem to be reading a lot of the same books that I am!

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online