Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Review: Where Men Win Glory (Krakauer)

Title: Where Men Win Glory: The Odyssey of Pat Tillman
Author: Krakauer
Genre: Non-fiction, Biography, Football, War
Pages: 344
Rating: 5 out of 5 stars!  Honestly, I would give it more if I could!

Perhaps my review should simply be WOW!  Yep, that pretty much sums up what I feel about this book.  Enough said...

Kidding!  I have previously mentioned my love of this book, and my love of non-fiction in general, in a blog post you can find
here. However, since I have recently completed the book, and I'm trying to boost the number of non-fiction blog tags I have, I thought that I would expand on my review.

Arizona State football star, turned NFL football star Pat Tillman walked away from his NFL contract in 2002 to join the US Army and make $1,200/month.  Deeply troubled by the events of 9/11, this is something that Tillman decided he had to do, and something he never would have wanted recognition for.  It is an amazing act to many of us, and especially many of my teenage students.  How could someone who "had it all" give that up to join the army?  During wartime?  The answer is really the heart of this entire book.

Quite simply, this book moved me.  It is a powerful life story that should be told.  Pat Tillman was someone I want my kids to know about, someone I would be honored if my kids were like.  He loved his country and his family and his fellow soldiers, and exemplified what the words "Honor" and "Character" truly mean.

Taking advantage of Tillman's own journals, as well as interviews with family, friends, and soldiers in the unit, Krakauer chronicles Pat's story.  It is a riveting, engrossing, and yet ultimately tragic story told in detail.  Which is exactly what you would expect from a book by this amazing author.
This is a definite MUST READ recommendation from me!  By the way, Pat's family has set up a foundation to honor him and to provide scholarships.  You can find out more about the Pat Tillman Foundation by visiting their Facebook page. 

No comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online